Our Referee Programs
We offer referees a unique experience to learn and grow their game inside a supportive, inclusive community. In partnership with The Referee Advocates, Legacy FC is committed to a promoting a positive game atmosphere in full support of referee experience and development.
Find out what program is best for you based on your age and experience and join us!
Junior Referee Program
This program is for 11-12 year olds interested in trying out officiating for our recreational program. It is designed for aspiring referees to build a foundation of basic referee mechanics and preparing them to enter the certified referee program when they turn 13.
**Note** It is a very popular program and registration is required.
Junior Referee Training: All Junior Referees must go through training administered by The Referee Advocates track in order to work. Registration for this program will begin in late Fall 2023/Early Winter 2024.
Sample Training Requirements:
- Register with your home club's program and pay the registration fee of $40. This includes a Junior Referee jersey shorts, whistle, and bag.
- Participate in 3 Zoom sessions
- one parent/referee session
- two referee-only sessions
- Attend 1 on-field session
- Pass an online quiz
Certified Referee Program
This program is for ages 13 years and up and is administered by our Head Assignor Daneen Goncalves and The Referee Advocates team. Referees in this program will work our competitive league home games during the spring/summer and fall seasons.
Please reference this FAQ for more information.
Current 2024 new referee certification requirements are found here and outlined below.
- Roughly 4-6 hours of online training through the US Soccer Learning Center Grassroots Course.
- Attend a 5 hour in-person class administered by the MNSRC, and hosted by local clubs (location and time listed through the registration process)
- An annual background check for those 18 and older ($30)
- The cost of certification is $60.
Certified Referee Mentor Program
The strength of our referee community relies heavily on referee mentorship and support. All USSF Referee Mentors are encouraged to become certified through the MNSRC. You must have 3+ years of experience as a referee to be able to be in this program.